Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I was so sad that Campbell's discontinued Black Bean Soup, so had to attempt a clone. Please note that there are no Southwestern spices in this version. Also no butter, oil, or meat. Most of the Black Bean Soup recipes one encounters these days are Southwest inspired. Not this one. Cubed avocado on top of each bowl is tasty and pretty. Or you could float a lemon slice on top.
- Soak 1 lb. of dried black beans in 6 cups water, either by the quick soak method (boil for 2 minutes, let sit one hour) or overnight.
- Drain the beans.
- Put them in a soup pot and add 8 cups of water.
- Add diced vegetables, bay leaf and oregano or Italian Seasoning.
- Bring to a boil, then turn heat to simmer.
- Cover and simmer until beans are very soft. This might take 2-plus hours.
- Stir from time to time and add water if it needs some.
- When beans are very soft, add 1/4 cup sherry, 2 teaspoons salt and black pepper to taste.
- Simmer another 15 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Puree with a stick blender if you have one, or in container of blender jar. (Safety warning: If you use a blender do not fill more than 1/2 full with hot soup and hold the lid on firmly with one hand to prevent volcanic eruption.)
- Garnish with avocado cubes or lemon and serve hot.