2 hrs 30 mins
Heirloom Tomato's Note:
I was so sad that Campbell's discontinued Black Bean Soup, so had to attempt a clone. Please note that there are no Southwestern spices in this version. Also no butter, oil, or meat. Most of the Black Bean Soup recipes one encounters these days are Southwest inspired. Not this one. Cubed avocado on top of each bowl is tasty and pretty. Or you could float a lemon slice on top.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak 1 lb. of dried black beans in 6 cups water, either by the quick soak method (boil for 2 minutes, let sit one hour) or overnight.
- 2Drain the beans.
- 3Put them in a soup pot and add 8 cups of water.
- 4Add diced vegetables, bay leaf and oregano or Italian Seasoning.
- 5Bring to a boil, then turn heat to simmer.
- 6Cover and simmer until beans are very soft. This might take 2-plus hours.
- 7Stir from time to time and add water if it needs some.
- 8When beans are very soft, add 1/4 cup sherry, 2 teaspoons salt and black pepper to taste.
- 9Simmer another 15 minutes.
- 10Remove bay leaf.
- 11Puree with a stick blender if you have one, or in container of blender jar. (Safety warning: If you use a blender do not fill more than 1/2 full with hot soup and hold the lid on firmly with one hand to prevent volcanic eruption.)
- 12Garnish with avocado cubes or lemon and serve hot.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Memory Lane Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (685 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 314.9
- Calories from Fat 10
- Total Fat 1.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 817.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.4 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 16.8 g