This was my first endeavor into lentils and it was fabulous, the flavor is wonderful (even though it doesn't seem to have much looking at the ingredients list). I added rice to mine. I revised this from the what would jesus eat cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups lentils (washed and sorted)
- 6 cups water
- 1 large onion
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (to be split in the recipe)
- 1 bell pepper (color is your choice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2 1/2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1Combine the lentils and water in a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer while preparing other ingredients.
- 2Saute the onions in half of the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat for about 4 minutes.
- 3Add the bell pepper and saute for a minute or two longer.
- 4Add the onion mixture to the lentils. Simmer 15 minutes.
- 5Season with salt, pepper, and cumin. Simmer for 15-20 minutes longer.
- 6Stir in the cilantro; remove dish from heat.
- 7Combine the garlic, lime juice and the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in a food processor or blender and blend well.
- 8Add garlic mixture and lime juice to the lentil mixture. Mix well and serve.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mediterranean Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (382 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 136.3
- Calories from Fat 24
- Total Fat 2.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 400.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 8.1 g