Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is based on the Creole dish jambalaya. I change the type of beans I use, depending on what's on hand. You can also spice it up, as desired. Original recipe is from Pillsbury.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely copped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, undrained,cut up
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 1 (16 ounce) can red beans, drained,rinsed
- 1 (55 1/2 ounce) can butter beans, drained,rinsed
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat until hot; Add onion, bell pepper and garlic; cook and stir 3 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
- Stir in water, tomatoes, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, ground red pepper and fennel seed; Bring to a boil; Add rice; Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans; Cover; simmer and additional 5 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally.