3 hrs 15 mins
someone named antoine's Note:
This is my mom's delicious marinara sauce recipe that she kindly provided to me. I have fond memories of her making this sauce often and filling the entire house with its wonderful aroma. It has a savory tomato-y taste, a nice hint of basil, and goes well with all types of pasta (including lasagna). I also like to use it for homemade meatball heroes. I hope that you all will enjoy it as much as we do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (24 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 (24 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) can Italian-style diced tomatoes (seasoned with basil, garlic and oregano)
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 cups hot water
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry oregano, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dry basil, divided
- 1 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 fresh basil leaves (larger is better)
- 3 meatballs (optional)
- 3 sweet Italian sausage links (optional)
- 1Saute the garlic and onion in oil in a large pot over a medium heat until they are transparent but not browned. Add a 1/2 teaspoon each of dry oregano and basil to the onion and garlic while sauteing.
- 2Once the onions and garlic are transparent, add all of the tomato products, the hot water, the rest of the dry herbs, and the fresh basil leaves to the pot and mix everything together well.
- 3If you'd like, you can add meatballs and/or sweet Italian sausage to the sauce at this point.
- 4Adjust the flame to a low heat and let the sauce cook for about 2 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 5After the 2 1/2 hours, add the sugar and cook for another 45 minutes.
- 6Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with more basil leaves, if desired. Leftovers can be frozen and reheated on the stove later.
Browse Our Top Savory Sauces Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mary's Savory Marinara Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (570 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.0
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1265.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.6 g
- Sugars 27.5 g
- Protein 8.0 g