Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A delicious salad for any occasion. If you are lucky enough to live where you can get fresh lettuce in December this would be fantastic on a Christmas table. Don't be squeamish about onions and raisins, they go really well together. I have seen similar receipts in Polish and Finnish cookbooks.
- 28 ounces canned beets
- 1 large red onion
- 1 head red leaf lettuce
- 1 cup golden raisin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt & pepper
- Drain beets and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Chop onion.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients except lettuce.
- Refrigerate 20 minutes.
- Wash lettuce and let it dry thoroughly.
- On a large serving platter arrange lettuce in an attractive manner.
- Spoon beet salad over lettuce.
- Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until ready to serve.
I will definately make this again! I used a 14.5 oz can of shoestring cut beets so adjusted other ingredients accordingly. Rather than chopped onion, I made thin slices which looked nice withthe shoestring beets. Be sure to eat the lettuce as well, it's not just a garnish - it's yummy and good for you!