Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a recipe we created when we first moved to the Philippines and hadn't been able to find syrup or applesauce in the stores. We've found the syrup and applesauce now, but keep coming back to this delicious syrup.
- 1 large mangoes or 1 (15 ounce) can mangoes
- 1 -2 fresh pears or 1 (15 ounce) can pears
- 1 cup water (only if using fresh fruit. If using canned fruit use the juice from the can instead of water)
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (might use 1/2 cup sugar if using only fresh uncanned fruit)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (or until desired thickness)
- Blend all ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Heat in a pan on low heat while continually stirring until reaching a boil.
- Immediately remove from heat and serve on your favorite pancakes or waffles. We serve this on our Waffles Perfect.
What an unusual but successful combination ! I am putting this on muesli with plain yoghurt for breakfast and enjoying it immensely so thanks for posting.
If you love mangoes and pears, you'll love this wonderfully flavoursome alternative to applesauce. I was able to buy pears but made this with canned mangoes as it's not quite mango season yet. A wonderfully delicious recipe which I really look forward to making again and sharing with friends and family when mangoes are plentiful and delicious. I followed Sydney Mike's tip and used less cornstarch and Baby Kato's suggestion of using pear nectar. Thanks for sharing this oh so-quick to make and wonderfully delicious recipe, Enjolinfam.
Made this with fresh fruit but took a hint from Baby Kato & used pear nectar instead of the water! Also cut the cornstarch to 2 teaspoons! Served it over your Waffles Perfect (Vegan) for a GREAT TASTING BREAKFAST! Thanks for a great recipe keeper! [Tagged, made & reviewed in for one of my vegan group partners in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap]