Kozmic Blues's Note:
The flavor possibilities are endless! Even when they are sale, the tubs of hummus in the markets are a bit pricey. Take the time to make your own. It's really easy and lower fat because I use the bean liquid for moisture instead of streams of olive oil or tahini. I got two hugely genuine, UNSOLICITED comments from my mother AND grandmother (that's BIG, believe me...) I also like to open people's minds a bit. My family, just the night before, had proclaimed their determined hatred for anything "curry" or "cumin". After they gobbled this hummus for several minutes, and asked me how I made it, I proudly proclaimed the spice combo I used! Give everything a chance! Who knows, you might actually like it : > This recipe can easily be doubled.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, preferably organic
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (I used Penzey's Balti curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne or 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 1/4-1/2 cup fresh parsley or 1/4-1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1Sauté the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- 2Add minced garlic and spices and sauté another 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- 3Be sure to keep stirring to avoid sticking or the garlic getting too dark.
- 4Drain the chickpeas, reserving their liquid.
- 5Add them to a blender or food processor with just enough liquid to blend.
- 6If using a blender, like I have, be patient, and keep scraping down the sides.
- 7Once chickpeas are somewhat smooth, add the sautéed onion, garlic and spice mixture from the stove and blend until combined.
- 8Scrape into a bowl and add lime/lemon juice if using, and fold in fresh parsley or cilantro.
- 9Serve with grilled pita or as a dip for fresh veggies.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Make Your Own Hummus - Basic Recipe
Serving Size: 1 (137 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 152.3
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 321.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 1.0 g
- Protein 5.8 g