Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
The flavor possibilities are endless! Even when they are sale, the tubs of hummus in the markets are a bit pricey. Take the time to make your own. It's really easy and lower fat because I use the bean liquid for moisture instead of streams of olive oil or tahini. I got two hugely genuine, UNSOLICITED comments from my mother AND grandmother (that's BIG, believe me...) I also like to open people's minds a bit. My family, just the night before, had proclaimed their determined hatred for anything "curry" or "cumin". After they gobbled this hummus for several minutes, and asked me how I made it, I proudly proclaimed the spice combo I used! Give everything a chance! Who knows, you might actually like it : > This recipe can easily be doubled.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, preferably organic
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder (I used Penzey's Balti curry powder)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne or 1⁄8 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (to taste)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh parsley or 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sauté the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and spices and sauté another 2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Be sure to keep stirring to avoid sticking or the garlic getting too dark.
- Drain the chickpeas, reserving their liquid.
- Add them to a blender or food processor with just enough liquid to blend.
- If using a blender, like I have, be patient, and keep scraping down the sides.
- Once chickpeas are somewhat smooth, add the sautéed onion, garlic and spice mixture from the stove and blend until combined.
- Scrape into a bowl and add lime/lemon juice if using, and fold in fresh parsley or cilantro.
- Serve with grilled pita or as a dip for fresh veggies.
this was perfect b4 itossed in all the lemon and lime juice. should have used half of 1 lime i think or as directed "to taste". It is still good but runny and a bit tart now. Thanks for another good recipe kosmic blue!