Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A soup so delicious and easy andn low fat, too! an excellent soup to serve anytime! From Bon Appetite, 1995.
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 10 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 (10 ounce) russet potatoes, peeled,cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 3 cups canned crushed tomatoes, with added puree
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- additional chopped fresh parsley
- Combine zucchini, carrots, mushrooms, onion and potato in heavy large Dutch oven.
- Add vegetable broth, crushed tomatoes, stewed tomatoes, 3 tablespoons parsley, cilantro, garlic, basil and oregano.
- Bring mixture to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Strain cooking liquid into large saucepan; reserve vegetables.
- Place 3 cups vegetables in blender.
- Add 1/4 cup cooking liquid.
- Puree until smooth.
- Stir puree into remaining cooking liquid in saucepan.
- Return remaining vegetables to cooking liquid.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- (Can be prepared 5 days ahead. Cover and refrigerate.) Bring soup to simmer.
- Ladle into bowls.
- Sprinkle with additional parsley.
- Serves 8.
This soup was so wonderful Bev. We ate about half of it and I froze the rest. It is full of so many good things and is healthy as well. I really crave good soup in the fall and wintertime and this hit the spot. Very well seasoned and easy to make. Thanks.
This is the best home-made vegetable soup I have ever made and eaten!! It is excellent!! I had a low-fat vegetable soup at a chain restaurant that I loved and decided to look for a recipe to make at home. This is practically identical to the soup I ate at the restaurant, but this recipe is so much better. Love, love, loved it!