Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Acorn squash is naturally low calorie and very healthy. I wanted to make it for lunch but all the recipes I found included butter, margarine, and sugars. Special thanks to Dancer who's recipe I used as the foundation for this one.
- 2 small acorn squash, halved, and seeds removed
- 2 ounces fresh orange juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1⁄16 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- Place squash pieces, cut side up, in a large baking pan. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven for one hour.
- For sauce, in a small saucepan combine orange juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Heat at medium temperature until bubbling lightly.
- Remove from heat.
- When the squash has finished cooking for an hour, drizzle sauce in squash shells and return squash to oven.
- Bake, uncovered, about 35 minutes more or until squash is tender.
Looking for some alternative ways to cook good but light. This is very good - a great side that feels like we were cheating as it felt like a dessert. Thanks!