My friend Lorraine B gave me this wonderful recipe when I was looking for an interesting hostess gift. One of the best things about this recipe is that it only takes one week to infuse, as opposed to up to a month that I've seen in other recipes. I actually made a quadruple recipe and got 6 bottles to give as gifts (I kept one for myself, of course!). At last night's preliminary tasting (2 hours after bottling) I can tell you that this is a very refreshing tipple! I'm also going to try this with oranges this winter.
- Wash the lemons, using soap, rinse well.
- Peel the lemons. I used my Microplane Zester and got lovely lemon zest, but you can also use a potato peeler. Make sure not to get any of the bitter white pith.
- Place the peel into a bowl and cover with the vodka. I used a large Tupperware bowl with a cover.
- Let the lemons infuse in the vodka for one week.
- Line a strainer with paper towels and strain the lemony vodka into a bowl that will hold more than twice its volume.
- Mix the sugar with the water in a pot and let it come to a boil.
- Boil for 2 minutes, giving it an occasional stir.
- Let cool.
- Add the sugar syrup to the lemon vodka and mix.
- Place in your favorite bottle.
- Keep the Limoncello in the freezer (it won't freeze).