1/2 Photos of Lighter Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Entered for safe-keeping. From Evelyn Tribole's "More Healthier Homestyle Cooking". Calories, fat and cholesterol were reduced by eliminating oil and sausage, and using more bell peppers. Fiber was increased by using more bell peppers and using brown rice instead of white rice. (Personal note: use a good-quality brown rice such as Texmati basmati, so you'll enjoy the taste of the brown rice and won't miss the white rice.) Capsicum are the same as bell peppers; I included both to enhance search options internationally.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 30 ounces canned red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 ounces low-sodium tomato sauce
- 2 green bell peppers or 2 green capsicum or 2 red bell peppers or 2 red capsicums, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups brown rice
- 1/3 cup fresh chives (for garnish) or 1/3 cup scallion, chopped (for garnish)
- 1Cook the rice according to the package directions. (I allowed 50 minutes of cooking time, which allows plenty of time to do the advance preparation of the vegetables.).
- 2Meanwhile, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick spray and warm over medium-high heat.
- 3Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until tender.
- 4Stir in the beans, tomato sauce, bell peppers (or capsicum), oregano, thyme, and hot pepper sauce.
- 5Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes, or until the flavors are blended.
- 6Serve the beans over the rice.
- 7Garnish with the chopped chives or scallions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lighter Cajun Red Beans and Rice
Serving Size: 1 (310 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 384.6
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 514.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.0 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 13.6 g