Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a basic stock that may be used in place of water in most any vegetable soup to give added depth of flavor. It's also a good way to use up vegetables that are limp or less than perfectly fresh!
- 7 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, sliced
- 1 medium potato, scrubbed and diced
- 1 cup coarsely shredded white cabbage
- 2 teaspoons Italian herb seasoning
- Place all the ingredients in a large soup pot.
- Bring to a simmer, then simmer gently, covered over low heat for 40-45 minutes, or until the vegetables are quite tender.
- Strain the stock through 3 layers of cheesecloth.
i found this recipe easy to prepare and very fast. i substituted the herb seasoning with fresh herbs - sweet basil, rosemary, parsley and origanum. it came out with very intense aromas and flavours, which i like. i used is as a base for Minestrone Verde #24309 by Vic1 and was delighted by the flavours once again. Lynette1
Very easy and adaptable to what you have in the fridge. I added baby bella mushrooms and fresh thyme, basil and rosemary. Wonderful, fresh and flavorful. Thanks!!
I cannot find vegetable broth in either of our local grocery stores so I'm going to try this one. I will post an official review later...