Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 15 mins
This is an adopted recipe. I haven't made it yet, but I will soon and will then update it with any necessary changes. Adapted from The More-with-Less Cookbook
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use broth instead)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery (optional)
- 4 -6 cups water (may use broth instead, or add some bouillon cubes)
- 3⁄4 cup lentils
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained (either use diced tomatoes or cut up a can of whole tomatoes)
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice or 3⁄4 cup barley
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- In a large pan, saute celery, onion and garlic in oil (or broth).
- Add water (or broth) and lentils.
- Cook 20 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, rice or barley, carrots and seasonings.
- Simmer 45-60 minutes.