Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Unlike standard, dull, lentil dishes, this soup has complex flavors. Very pungent. Sweet, tart and tasty. Should simmer all day. This is from the Moosewood Cookbook.
- 3 cups raw lentils (rinsed)
- 7 cups water or 7 cups stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup minced celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons molasses or 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine
- Simmer the lentils (rinsed), water or stock and salt, covered 3—4 hours.
- Steam, or saute in butter the minced garlic, onion, minced celery, chopped carrots. Add to lentil's after they've simmered 3-4 hours.
- Continue to simmer on low heat.
- Add thyme, oregano, pepper, tomatoes, red wine, lemon juice, molasses, and wine vinegar 30 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle extra vinegar and freshly chopped scallions onto each serving.