1/1 Photo of Lentil-Grain Burgers My Kids Will Eat!
1 hr 15 mins
My children actually *beg* for these, and even my vegan-suspicious parents and sister had to admit they liked them. The original recipe is from the "Lean, Lucious, & Meatless" cookbook. I usually omit the cayenne and paprika and decrease the onion (I'm the only onion-lover in the house) and add ground flax and occasionally wheat germ, whatever. We eat it in pitas, on bread, with cheese, BBQ sauce, ketchup or tahini. I even stir-fry/scrambled it once when it didn't get sticky enough to make patties and served it over rice and they wolfed it down that way. We eat it quite a bit, especially during Lent. :o) Do make sure to cook it slowly enough to get really sticky or it will be very hard to keep the patties together when you flip them. It will keep several days in the fridge, chilling until you need it (prep time does not include chilling; not completely necessary in my experience, but helpful). The patties reheat well, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all ingredients in heavy pan on med heat.
- 2Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- 3Simmer uncovered 50 min, or until all liquid is gone and mixture is very sticky.
- 4(Don't cook it too fast or it won't be sticky enough to hold together-- if liquid is gone and mixture doesn't seem to stick, add a little more water and continue simmering.) Stir periodically throughout and then frequently near end of cooking time to prevent scorching.
- 5Remove from heat, place in covered container, and chill thoroughly, preferably overnight.
- 6To cook burgers: Preheat skillet on medium, spray lightly with non-stick spray if desired.
- 7Wet hands lightly and shape patties from approx 1/2 cup chilled mixture each.
- 8Cook until browned on both sides-- turn carefully!
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil-Grain Burgers My Kids Will Eat!
Serving Size: 1 (134 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 91.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 157.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 0.9 g
- Protein 3.8 g