Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This lentil sauce is for the "after ski, sledding" type of cold winter day where you want some comfort "stick to the ribs" kind of meal. Serve with a light green salad and Ho Boy, Do ahead and warm up just before serving
- 2 3⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup brown lentils or 1 cup green lentil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, finely chopped
- 4 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 3⁄4 cup carrot, finely chopped
- 3⁄4 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes, drained & chopped (save juice for another time)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon oregano
- salt & pepper
- Boil the water and add lentils, stir until water returns to boil.
- Simmer covered for about 40 minutes or until the liquid is absorbes and lentils are soft.
- Heat oil in a saucepan.
- Add onion.
- carrot, garlic& celery, Cook over low until soft, stir occasionally Season with salt& pepper, cover& simmer 5 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes& oregano.
- Add cooked lentils, stirring until well blended and hot throught.
- Serve over your favorite pasta.