1 hr 15 mins
Chef #1109421's Note:
From fatfreevegan.com, adapted from NewCenturyNutrition.com Based on a recipe by J. Raymond Thick enough to be called a stew, this hearty soup is easy to prepare and cooks in a single pot. Add more water or stock if you wish to have a thinner soup. Pearl barley is the variety most commonly sold in supermarkets. Natural food stores offer hulled barley, which is slightly less refined and cooks in about the same amount of time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/2 cup hulled barley or 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced or crushed
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 2 -4 cups fresh spinach (optional)
- 1Place all ingredients except salt into a large pot and bring to a simmer.
- 2Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils and barley are tender, about 1 hour.
- 3Add salt to taste and spinach, if desired.
- 4Cook briefly until spinach is wilted but still bright green.
- 5This soup can also be prepared in a crockpot. If you start with boiling water it will cook in 1 to 2 hours; with cold water, 5 to 6 hours.
- 6To cook in a pressure cooker, put all ingredients except salt and spinach into cooker and bring it to high pressure.
- 7Cook at high pressure for 12 minutes; then bring pressure down with a quick-release method. Lentils should be cooked, but barley may not be completely tender.
- 8Cook until barley reaches the desired state of tenderness, about 15 minutes, adding water if a thinner consistency is needed. Then add salt and spinach, if desired.
- 9Cook briefly until spinach is wilted but still bright green.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lentil Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (349 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 112.9
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 35.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 22.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 5.4 g