This is slightly modified from Nonna's Italian Kitchen by Bryanna Clark Grogan. Very good!
Make and share this Lentil and Barley Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1892.72 ml broth
- 354.88 ml dried lentils
- 793.78 g can crushed tomatoes
- 118.29 ml dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 2.46 ml dried basil
- 2.46 ml dried thyme
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 118.29 ml barley
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry or 236.59 ml chopped cooked greens
- freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat, then saute' the onions till they begin to soften.
- Add the celery, carrots, and garlic and saute' a few minutes more.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, lentils, red wine, and herbs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add barley; simmer for 45 minutes more, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed.
- Add the greens and cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese, if desired.
I've made this 3 times now. It's great on a chilly night with bread and a salad. The red wine really adds some depth and my husband loves barley, too. It's a keeper.
This is a great recipe. My husband really loved this one, because of the Barley. Definately should try this one