adapted from cooking light
Make and share this Lemon Mint Barley Salad recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped fresh mint
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 2 tablespoons chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Combine 1/4 teaspoon salt and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil. Stir in barley; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
- Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes.
- Spoon barley into a large bowl; cool slightly. Add mint, tomato, green onions, capers, and olives; stir well to combine. Combine remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, 2 tablespoons lemon juice,red pepper and oil, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle over barley mixture; toss gently to coat.