Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
A quick and easy vegetarian supper for those busy weeknights. Turn that can of beans into a tasty meal in no time. Adapted from "The Vegetarian Gourmet's Easy Low-Fat Favorites".
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger (or more, to taste)
- 1 (19 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups cooked beans)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Combine soy sauce, brown sugar, 1/3 cup water, ketchup, garlic and ginger in a saucepan.
- Add beans.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.
- Add to bean mixture.
- Cook, stirring constantly, 1-2 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
This was so delicious and so easy to make! I have never eaten kidney beans and this was a great introduction to them! I usually don't like ginger but in this case it blended very well and didn't overpower the dish. Thanks for a great recipe!!!
Yum! I would have never thought to combine these ingredients and that they would taste so good. I'm never having plain old kidney beans again! Thanks for the recipe!
This is so fast, easy, and best of all delicious! Love the Asian flavors of the soy sauce and ginger mixed with all the other flavors, and no oil or butter... YEAY!! I just tweeked the recipe a bit to suit my tastes by adding a minced hot chili pepper and using only 2 T of sugar. I ate this without the rice, but there is a nice amount of sauce for serving with rice. Well, now that I've written this I have a craving for it again! I'll be making this often :)