Traditionally kim chee takes months to prepare as it is set in stone jars to mature. Here is a quicker version where you can have kim chee ready in one day!
- 2 lbs chinese napa cabbage
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes (amount to taste)
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons vegan sugar (or granulated sugar, to taste)
- sesame oil (optional)
- Chop cabbage coarsely and place in a large dish.
- Sprinkle cabbage with salt; let stand 3-4 hours.
- Squeeze cabbage dry with hands and place in another bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients except sesame oil, and mix well.
- Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.
- Sprinkle with a few drops of sesame oil on each serving, if desired.