Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an easy dish to make and perfect for a meatless dinner served with french bread and crisp salad. The recipe was published in The New American Diet Cookbook. I made only a few minor adjustments.
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh okra or 1 1⁄2 cups frozen okra, sliced
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- salt (optional)
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Cook the sliced okra in boiling water just until tender; set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in oil until the onion is soft and golden.
- Add the celery and greepeppers, cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes and heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat, add seasonings adjusting to fit personal taste and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add okra, peas and beans.
- Cook a few minutes until peas are done and beans and okra are warmed.
- Serve over cooked brown rice.