This is a delicious way to make poached pears which are a delicious and light dessert. The poaching liquid can be reduced down when you are finished to make a strongly flavored sweet sauce or you can use caramel syrup, which is my preferred method. These are one my favorite desserts.
- Add the port, water and sugar to a saucepan (a deeper rather than wider one is better) over medium-high heat. Stir thoroughly until sugar is dissolved.
- Add pears and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling add remaining ingredients.
- Boil for 10-12 minutes or until pears are soft.
- Plate pears and scoop out small round center where the seeds are.
- Use this as a well to pour your sauce, allowing it to flow over for a beautiful and tasty presentation.