Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I love sweet and spicy combinations and this fruit salad is one of those great pairings. Salad should chill for about 2 hours before serving so plan ahead.
- 6 small navel oranges
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup jicama, cut into sticks (3 by 1/2 inches)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- salt, to taste
- 1 red jalapeno chile, seeded and diced
- cayenne pepper
- 6 cups mixed salad greens, tossed with vinaigrette (optional)
- Remove orange sections from membranes.
- Toss orange slices, onion slices and jicama, sprinkle with cilantro and jalapeno and season with salt and cayenne.
- Cover and refrigerate the salad for about 2 hours.
- Serve cold on chilled plates or on a bed of mixed greens that have been tossed with a vinaigrette, such as citrus or balsamic.
This is a peppy salad that I loved. I used a Sprtzer Balsamic Mist as the dressing. For the orange I used a Satsumi orange but the Navel will be livlier in the flavor. Had to use a green Jalapeno but added a bit of sweet red pepper for the color Thanks Cheryl for a lovely Lunch
Definitely wanted to make this, what with the oranges & jicama, but the jalapeno was a bit too much for me so I substituted half a poblano for the latter ingredient! Still it made for a very tasty salad & a keeper of a recipe! Many thanks! [Tagged, made & reviewed in Healthy Choices ABC cooking game]