Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
From the March 2005 issue of Fitness Magazine. Try just a spray of olive oil instead of brushing it on to save on fat. Super quick and easy!
- 4 slender Japanese eggplants, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise (about 1 lb)
- 4 teaspoons extra-light olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 2 tablespoons minced scallions
- Heat broiler.
- Using a sharp knife, lightly score eggplant flesh in a criss-cross pattern.
- Arrange the eggplant skin side up in a single layer on a non-stick broiler pan.
- Lightly brush with half the oil; broil 4 inches away from heat source for 3 minutes or until dimpled but not charred.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine soy sauce, sugar and mirin.
- Turn eggplant slices over and brush with remaining oil; broil 1 minute.
- Brush with soy sauce mixture; broil 1 more minute more until eggplant is tender when it's pierced with a knife.
- Sprinkle with scallions before serving.
good! simple! quick! amazing with rice and corn! thanks for the recipe