This recipe came out of our home school Bible Workbook called Genesis to Joshua. My children had to make it one day for Bible Class. For those who need a refresher...Esau came in from the wilderness after hunting and sold his birthright to Jacob for some of his soup. I have to tell you, I have never been a big lentil soup fan, but the lemon juice in this soup really brightens the flavor and I found it to be very pleasing...even my picky eaters enjoyed it!
- Rinse lentils, discarding and stones, or blemished lentils; drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion and bell pepper, cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add cumin and ground red pepper and stir 1 minute.
- Pour in the 4 cups of water and the lentils. Bring to a boil and Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in salt and simmer 10 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Made for the Aussie/NZ Recipe Swap #83 - December 2013 and what a great choice for a cold day. I used red lentils and chicken broth for the water and added a little garlic. Delicious. Definately one I will make again and again. Thank you for posting.
The lemon juice really makes this soup, and I really enjoyed it. it was even better the next day. made for Aussie swap, jan 2013
I made this lovely soup tonight for dinner. I actually made it in my Thermomix so adjusted the time slightly. The only other change was I used 3/4 cup of lentils and used vegetable stock instead of water. I really enjoyed it. thanks