1/4 Photos of Jacob's Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
Chef Buggsy Mate's Note:
This recipe came out of our home school Bible Workbook called Genesis to Joshua. My children had to make it one day for Bible Class. For those who need a refresher...Esau came in from the wilderness after hunting and sold his birthright to Jacob for some of his soup. I have to tell you, I have never been a big lentil soup fan, but the lemon juice in this soup really brightens the flavor and I found it to be very pleasing...even my picky eaters enjoyed it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rinse lentils, discarding and stones, or blemished lentils; drain.
- 2Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- 3Add onion and bell pepper, cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- 4Add cumin and ground red pepper and stir 1 minute.
- 5Pour in the 4 cups of water and the lentils. Bring to a boil and Reduce heat to low.
- 6Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 7Stir in salt and simmer 10 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
- 8Stir in lemon juice and serve.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Jacob's Middle Eastern Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (353 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.5
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 303.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 15.8 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 13.0 g