This recipe came out of our home school Bible Workbook called Genesis to Joshua. My children had to make it one day for Bible Class. For those who need a refresher...Esau came in from the wilderness after hunting and sold his birthright to Jacob for some of his soup. I have to tell you, I have never been a big lentil soup fan, but the lemon juice in this soup really brightens the flavor and I found it to be very pleasing...even my picky eaters enjoyed it!
- Rinse lentils, discarding and stones, or blemished lentils; drain.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add onion and bell pepper, cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add cumin and ground red pepper and stir 1 minute.
- Pour in the 4 cups of water and the lentils. Bring to a boil and Reduce heat to low.
- Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in salt and simmer 10 minutes more or until lentils are tender.
- Stir in lemon juice and serve.