1/1 Photo of Italian Lemon Ice (Granita)
5 hrs 20 mins
Lemon granita is easily the most popular of all Italian ices, and with good reason. On a hot summer's day, no refreshment beats it tangy, revitalizing taste. Prep time included chill time. From The Mediterranean Vegan Kitchen.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine 2 cups of the water with the sugar in a medium nonreactive saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- 2Cook, stirring constantly, until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- 3Add the salt, stir, and remove the pan from the heat.
- 4Stir in the remaining water and let cool to room temperature.
- 5Cover and refrigerate for a minimum of 1 hour.
- 6Meanwhile, place a shallow metal 2 1/2 qt container (such as a large cake pan) in the freezer to chill.
- 7Add the lemon juice, lemon peel, and extract to the chilled sugar mixture; stir until well blended.
- 8Pour into the chilled metal pan.
- 9Place the pan in the freezer for 30-60 minutes, or until ice crystals form around the edges.
- 10Stir the ice crystals into the center of the pan and return to the freezer.
- 11Repeat every 30 minutes, or until all the liquid is crystallized but not frozen solid, about 3 hours.
- 12To serve, scoop the granita into chilled dessert bowls or goblets.
- 13(If the granita has become too hard, scrape it with a large metal spoon to break up the ice crystals.) Serve at once.
- 14Advance Preparation: The granita can be stored, covered, for up to four days in the freezer, but it will have become frozen solid.
- 15To serve, either allow the granita to thaw in the refridgerator until you can scrape the crystals, or break it up into chunks and process with on/off motions in a food processor fitted with the knife blade until fairly smooth.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Italian Lemon Ice (Granita)
Serving Size: 1 (194 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 214.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 43.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.3 g
- Sugars 51.4 g
- Protein 0.2 g