These do contain potato, but they don't contain coconut! I made this for Saint Patrick's Day with my class years ago when I was in third grade. Later, right before I graduated from high school, I tracked down my former teacher and got her to give me this recipe. It's easy and fun for kids, and making them was such a wonderful memory for me.
- Combine mashed potatoes and vanilla.
- Adding one cup at a time, blend in enough confectioners' sugar to form stiff, non-sticky dough. (Just how much sugar is needed will depend on moisture of potatoes. Baked potatoes tend to be drier than boiled; leftovers tend to be drier than fresh.)
- Working with about 1 teaspoon of mixture for each candy, shape into small irregular spheres (like new potatoes) and set out on wax paper to dry slightly before coating.
- Toss candies a few at a time, in a plastic bag with ground cinnamon.
- Shake off excess cinnamon.
- Store candies in cool place or refrigerate.