Prep 35 mins
Cook 20 mins
A potluck or picnic favorite. You will like the subtle flavors. If you don't like Cilantro, leave it out.
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain rice
- 1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks, drained
- 1⁄4 cup dry-roasted cashews or 1⁄4 cup peanuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut in half down lengthwise,and thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh bean sprout
- 1⁄2 cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh orange zest
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, minced
- Cook rice according to directions and place in a bowl to cool to room temperature.
- When cool, add pineapple, cashews, raisins, green onions, red and green bell peppers, celery, bean sprouts and cilantro.
- In a jar, combine dressing ingredients and shake to mix.
- If the salad is served immediately, drizzle all of the dressing over the salad.
- If salad is to be served later, use only half of dressing over salad, then at the last minute add the other half of dressing, stirring to coat.
- May be served room temperature or chilled.
Thank you for such a delicious salad! My wife and I are trying to eat meals that don't heat the kitchen up-this is a winner! My wife and I do not care for green bell pepper or cilantro. I bought a large red bell pepper as a substitution for the green bell pepper. I omitted the cilantro from the dressing mixture. We will make this again!!!!
Now I know what to do with all of that left over rice frome chinese take-out! So flavorful, colorful and refreshing! I can't imagine it without the cilantro. Next time i'm going to try adding some mandarin oranges and extra cashews.
This was a terrific discovery from this month's Asian Tag game. I enjoyed the combination of sweet, salty, crunchy, & tender. I thought it would be a nice dish for a potluck as it is colorful & yet different enough to not be standard fare. Next time I will chop the pineapple a little to better match the size of the other ingredients and might add more cilantro. (we like it) Thank you for sharing the recipe!