This rice dish takes very little time to prepare and most of the ingredients are found in the common kitchen. I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and altered it to add that little "heat" I thought it needed. Serve this with a plain lentil dal (stew) or curry, or with a plain raita or cold yogurt.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon canola oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon red chili powder (or to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked basmati rice or 1 1/4 cups jasmine rice or 1 1/4 cups long-grain rice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups water
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently until they have softened.
- 3Sprinkle in the ginger, garlic, coriander, cardamom, nutmeg, red chili powder, and cumin.
- 4Cook for 3 minutes more, stirring frequently.
- 5Add the rice to the saucepan and saute the rice with the spices for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- 6Now add the lentils and salt into the saucepan.
- 7Add 3 cups of water into the pan, stir.
- 8Place the potatoes into the pan.
- 9Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the pan and turn the heat to low.
- 10Cook for 10 minutes.
- 11Place the bell pepper, peas, and raisins into the saucepan.
- 12Stir well, then cover the pan again.
- 13Cook 10 minutes more, or until the rice, potatoes, and lentils are tender.
- 14Stir in the butter, if desired.
- 15Serve hot and enjoy.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Indian Spiced Rice
Serving Size: 1 (279 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 290.3
- Calories from Fat 35
- Total Fat 3.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.6 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 9.2 g