Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
An Indian meal is not complete without rice to soak up some of the liquids of the other Indian dishes that is piled on and around it.
- Cook green onion in butter in a saucepan until tender but not brown.
- Stir in rice, salt garam masala, red pepper and garlic.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes; do not lift lid.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- To freeze: Place prepared rice in freezer bag. Seal, pushing out as much air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge. Place in baking dish and add 1 T.water for each cup of rice. Stir and reheat at 300 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
The kitchen smelt great when this rice was cooking. I made it for lunch this afternoon and we enjoyed it to the fullest with Palak raita(spinach curd) which is recipe number 24973. Together, these made for a complete meal and I thoroughly relished every morsel of it:) My mom loved it as well, thanks, Karen!!
Fairly good mildly spiced rice. I liked the addition of the sliced green onions. My husband and I preferred this rice with a topping of vegetable curry.
Karen....Thanks so much for sharing. This rice was wonderful. I'm not a big rice eater, but this is changing my mind I will most certainly make this often. Made this step-by-step according to your directions. Deeeeelicious. Thanks again Karen.