1/5 Photos of I Can't Wait for Chole
Sue Lau's Note:
A nice spicy Indian chickpea recipe. I know, I know. The beans come from a can. Yeah, yeah. But I was so hungry, and I was in a hurry! Remember this little dish the next time you're short on time, too! To serve as a vegetarian main dish, increase the quantity. Reheats well, too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2-1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1In large saucepan over medium heat, heat cumin seeds, bay leaf and cinnamon until very fragrant, swirling around to prevent burning.
- 2Add ginger and garlic, cooking until the smell of those fills the air, then add onions.
- 3Saute onions, stirring frequently, and adding drops of water to prevent sticking, until they are translucent.
- 4Add the tomatoes, coriander, turmeric, salt, and cayenne.
- 5Check for seasoning, adding more as you prefer.
- 6Bring to a boil.
- 7Add garbanzo beans (chickpeas), cover, and reduce heat.
- 8Simmer on low for 10-15 minutes.
- 9Stir in garam masala and lemon juice just before serving.
- 10Garnish with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro if you desire.
- 11Serve with rice, or Indian breads or pitas (breads are best warmed on a hot griddle).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for I Can't Wait for Chole
Serving Size: 1 (342 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.0
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 643.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.5 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 12.2 g