Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A popular breakfast beverage in South America, make this mixture at night and reheat in the morning. It's a thick, slightly sweet drink full of nutrients and protein from the quinoa. From the Whole Planet Foundation. I haven't tried this yet, so putting it here for safekeeping! It sounds good!
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups soymilk
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and quartered
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Place quinoa and 2 cups water in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender.
- Drain well and return quinoa to saucepan.
- Add soymilk, apples, sugar and cinnamon. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to a blender, add vanilla and puree until smooth.
- Serve hot.
Very good flavor. I used unsweetened Almond Breeze instead of the soymilk. It was far too thick to drink easily; even ticker than the smoothies I make. It was more like a porridge. I will make it again but only use one apple, that might help with the drink-ability. Still, a delicious way to start the day.
Oh yum, Sharon, this shake is amazing! It is so easy to make and tastes just fabulous! YUM! I used a yogurt milk (half yogurt half water) and by accident doubled the quinoa. lol It turned out very thick and smoothie like, which we loved. I used black quinoa and this made it look like an oreo milkshake. THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this amazing recipe with us, Sharon! Ill certainly make it again!
Made and reviewed for the quinoa event in the Spain/Portugal forum October 2011.