Hot cocoa made with plant milk (soy, rice, nut, or grain) is rich, smooth, and satifying. Everyone knows hot cocoa is wonderful in cool weather, but this recipe is so simple and delicious it may become a year-round favorite.
- Combine the cocoa, sugar, and water in a small saucepan, and whisk until smooth.
- Place over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring often, until steam rises and mixture is hot.
- Do not boil.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into mugs and serve at once.