Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Hot cocoa made with plant milk (soy, rice, nut, or grain) is rich, smooth, and satifying. Everyone knows hot cocoa is wonderful in cool weather, but this recipe is so simple and delicious it may become a year-round favorite.
- Combine the cocoa, sugar, and water in a small saucepan, and whisk until smooth.
- Place over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the milk and cook, stirring often, until steam rises and mixture is hot.
- Do not boil.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into mugs and serve at once.
My kids love soy milk. And homemade hot cocoa! I've never even thought of making it with soy but will definitely do it from now on. Not nearly as salty as the cow's milk variety and very silky tasting. Thanks for sharing this one!
I made this up this snowy morning with rice milk and it was very good! Worth the 5 stars! Thanks!
I made this twice this weekend. My kids and husband said it was the best hot cocoa they have ever had. Much much better than the watery mixes, and it wasn't really that much extra trouble. It really hit the spot on a really cold Thanksgiving weekend. Thanks for the recipe!!