1/3 Photos of Homemade Brown Rice Hot Cereal
Another Cookgirl original! A nutritious, hearty breakfast cereal much less expensive to make at home instead of buying at the supermarket. I live off this in the cold winter months. Really delicious used in various bread recipes. Also can use basmati, jasmine or regular white rice, but brown is the healthiest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In clean, dry skillet (preferably cast iron) toast brown rice on medium heat. Lower heat if rice starts to smoke.
- 2Toast rice for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly so that grains do not burn. Rice should turn a medium brown. Set aside to cool slightly.
- 3In blender fitted with steel blade, or in grain mill or food processor grind browned rice to the consistency of medium coarse cornmeal (grainy but not powdered.).
- 4The grinding process will have to be done in 3/4 cup portions to allow the rice grains to grind effectively.
- 5To store: Place ground rice cereal in airtight container or "ziploc" bag. The cereal must be kept either refrigerated or frozen. Brown rice goes rancid quickly if stored in cupboard.
- 6To prepare hot cereal: (1 serving/thick consistency*).
- 7In small saucepan with 1 cup of rapidly boiling, salted water gradually add 1/3 cup scant of prepared brown rice cereal using a fork to stir well. *For thinner consistency cereal, either increase amount of water, or reduce amount of cereal. Continue to cook rice on high for about 30 seconds breaking up any lumps. Reduce heat until boiling subsides, cover pan tightly and simmer for 10 minutes.
- 8Serve with your favorite toppings if desired. Season with salt if necessary. My favorite additions are toasted nuts, raisins and cardamom!
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Brown Rice Hot Cereal
Serving Size: 1 (762 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2751.2
- Calories from Fat 183
- Total Fat 20.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 30.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 578.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 25.8 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 57.0 g