Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
A healthier version of Hassleback potatoes. These can be made ahead. Par boil, shake up, slash and stuff the potatoes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for 1 month. Bring back up to room temperature before roasting on the day.
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil
- heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas
- Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters depending on their size.
- Tip into the pan, allow the heat to come back up; boil for 6-10 mins until just starting to soften around the edges.
- Drain in a colander and return to the pan.
- With the lid on, shake the potatoes until the edges fluff up.
- Leave the potatoes until cool enough to handle.
- Slash half the chunks once with a small knife and stuff alternately with bay or thyme.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large roasting pan either in the oven or on the hob until the butter turns golden.
- Carefully tip in the potatoes and gently turn in the fat (tongs are best for this).
- Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper to taste and roast for 1-1¼ hrs until crisp and golden, turning halfway through.