1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 30 mins
A healthier version of Hassleback potatoes. These can be made ahead. Par boil, shake up, slash and stuff the potatoes. Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for 1 month. Bring back up to room temperature before roasting on the day.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil
- 2heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas
- 3Cut the potatoes into halves or quarters depending on their size.
- 4Tip into the pan, allow the heat to come back up; boil for 6-10 mins until just starting to soften around the edges.
- 5Drain in a colander and return to the pan.
- 6With the lid on, shake the potatoes until the edges fluff up.
- 7Leave the potatoes until cool enough to handle.
- 8Slash half the chunks once with a small knife and stuff alternately with bay or thyme.
- 9Heat the butter and oil in a large roasting pan either in the oven or on the hob until the butter turns golden.
- 10Carefully tip in the potatoes and gently turn in the fat (tongs are best for this).
- 11Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper to taste and roast for 1-1¼ hrs until crisp and golden, turning halfway through.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Herby Slashed Roasties
Serving Size: 1 (287 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 238.6
- Calories from Fat 43
- Total Fat 4.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 37.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 3.2 g
- Protein 4.8 g