This is an excellent vegan recipe, its very hearty and flavorful. Don't write off this recipe for lack of meat, its really fab.
- 2 cups navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery leaves, and tender, inner stalks, chopped fine
- 1 cup cabbage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger (powder)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash habanero sauce
- Wash and pick over beans.
- Cover with water and soak overnight, or quick soak.
- Discard soaking water, rinse beans and put in a large soup pot.
- Add the 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- Cover tightly and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Add carrots.
- In a nonstick pan saute onion in balsamic vinegar until it caramelizes (this takes a while on low heat).
- Add garlic, celery leaves, and cabbage.
- Continue sautéing, adding more liquid as necessary.
- When the mixture has cooked down somewhat, add it to the beans.
- Simmer *very* slowly for 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Remove bay leaves and serve with hard bread and salad.