1/1 Photo of Hearty Vegan Navy Bean Soup
This is an excellent vegan recipe, its very hearty and flavorful. Don't write off this recipe for lack of meat, its really fab.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar or 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar or 3 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 2 onions, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup celery leaves, and tender, inner stalks, chopped fine
- 1 cup cabbage
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 tablespoon parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce or 1 dash habanero sauce
- 1Wash and pick over beans.
- 2Cover with water and soak overnight, or quick soak.
- 3Discard soaking water, rinse beans and put in a large soup pot.
- 4Add the 8 cups of water and bring to a boil.
- 5Cover tightly and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- 6Add carrots.
- 7In a nonstick pan saute onion in balsamic vinegar until it caramelizes (this takes a while on low heat).
- 8Add garlic, celery leaves, and cabbage.
- 9Continue sautéing, adding more liquid as necessary.
- 10When the mixture has cooked down somewhat, add it to the beans.
- 11Simmer *very* slowly for 2 hours or until beans are tender, stirring occasionally.
- 12Remove bay leaves and serve with hard bread and salad.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Vegan Navy Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (339 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 114.6
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 580.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.5 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 5.5 g