For a simple dinner, present this flavorful and healthful soup with some warm crusty bread and a mixed green salad. I have added a can of white kidney beans (undrained) in the last 5 mins for that bit extra.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups peeled turnips, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled rutabagas, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled russet potatoes, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat.
- Add leek, celery and garlic and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add turnips, rutabagas, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes with juices and 2 cans broth.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer 4 cups soup to processor.
- Puree until almost smooth.
- Return puree to pot.
- Add remaining 2 cans broth; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve.