1/1 Photo of Hearty Root Veggie Soup
1 hr 10 mins
For a simple dinner, present this flavorful and healthful soup with some warm crusty bread and a mixed green salad. I have added a can of white kidney beans (undrained) in the last 5 mins for that bit extra.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups peeled turnips, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled rutabagas, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups peeled russet potatoes, 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth or 4 (14 1/2 ounce) cans low sodium chicken broth
- 1Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-low heat.
- 2Add leek, celery and garlic and sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add turnips, rutabagas, potatoes, carrots, tomatoes with juices and 2 cans broth.
- 3Bring to boil.
- 4Reduce heat; cover and simmer until vegetables are very tender, about 45 minutes.
- 5Transfer 4 cups soup to processor.
- 6Puree until almost smooth.
- 7Return puree to pot.
- 8Add remaining 2 cans broth; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
- 9Ladle soup into bowls and serve.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Root Veggie Soup
Serving Size: 1 (622 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 157.5
- Calories from Fat 25
- Total Fat 2.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 367.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.3 g
- Sugars 13.0 g
- Protein 3.9 g