Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Basic ketchup recipe free of High Fuctose Corn Surup (which has been known to make kids wild:)
Make and share this Healthy Ketchup recipe from Food.com.
- 4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup vinegar
- 7 tablespoons demerara sugar (found at wal-mart or regular.)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 4 teaspoons salt (kosher pref.)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Place tomato paste in pan and stir till smooth.
- Add water little bit at a time while stirring.
- Add vinegar same way.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir over low heat till simmering.
- Place into old bottles and cool. Store in fridge.
Love it! I made this recipe with organic ingredients and used agave instead of sugar. I don't know what I was thinking and just threw all the ingredients in my magic bullet and turned out great with out cooking. Great recipe!
Perfection! I've been watching my sugar intake and made this with a dash of stevia powder instead of sugar. Also added just a dash of cayenne. Yippee...I can enjoy a burger again!! (I made 1/4 of the recipe and had 1 1/4 c. or 20T of ketchup. I figured .75g sugar and 1.5g carb for each T when making it this way)
Great basic recipe from which you can make your own adaptations like low/no sugar, low salt (half as much as recipe states works nicely). Vinegar was a little heavy so if you're sensitive you may want to cut a few Tablespoons as I will next time. I added a teaspoon each of cayenne and Mrs. Dash and used half brown sugar and half no calorie sugar substitute. Worked great so try adding flavors your family likes! I made a half recipe which fit PERFECTLY into the upside-down squeeze style ketchup bottle. Definitely keep in fridge bc without preservatives, mine starts growing mold in about a month even in the fridge. Yum!