This is a healthy falafel that is baked instead of fried. It's also vegan!
Make and share this Healthy Baked Falafel recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup diced onion
- 1⁄3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 -2 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl with fork until it's a crumbly mixture. Set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and parsley to food processor and process until finely chopped and combined.
- Next add the mashed chickpeas to food processor along with tahini, bread crumbs, coriander, cumin, salt, and pepper. Process until combined, adding the water 1-2 Tbsp of water as needed. You may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula in between processing.
- Once combined, empty into large bowl. Add the flour and mix, you should be able to form into large ball. If the mixture is too dry and crumbly, add a Tbsp of water. If it's too wet, add an additional Tbsp of flour.
- Form into 10 small patties (approximately 2 inches). Place on baking sheet lighly greased with olive oil or cooking spray. Bake for 5-6 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
Two very enthusiastic thumbs up for this 5-star recipe! Loved the fact that is was baked and not fried :) I didn't have fresh parsley on hand so I subbed 1/3 cup dried and it still turned out yummy~! After 6 minutes in the oven they weren't browning as much as I'd like so I broiled them for an additional 2-3 minutes per side. Overall, very pleased with this recipe; definitly a repeater!