Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe from The Happy Herbivore, and it is excellent. My two children love it! If you use hot sauce cut it back, 1 tbsp will make it very spicy.
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 tablespoon szechuan sauce (optional) or 1 tablespoon hot sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar (optional)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or cooked greens)
- 1 cup peaches or 1 cup mangoes or 1 cup pineapple salsa
- Combine chickpeas, teriyaki sauce, Szechuan sauce, and sugar in a large frying pan.
- Allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring regularly, until most of the liquid has absorbed, about 10 minutes.
- Spoon over cooked rice and top with salsa. (For a lighter dish, you can substitute cooked greens, such as steamed kale, for the rice.).
- Chef Note: To create your own pineapple/peach/mango salsa mix equal parts chopped fruit with minced red onion, fresh cilantro, and lime juice to taste.