Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I adapted this from "500 Fat Free Recipes". I make this a lot when I'm hungry and have no idea what to fix. I cook the rice while making the beans and then throw it all together.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (or 1 can chopped tomatoes)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups canned black beans (not rinsed)
- cooking spray
- Spray a heavy pan with cooking spray.
- Cook the onion, garlic, and pepper for about 3 minutes or until starting to get soft.
- Add the tomatoes and pepper.
- Cook and stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the beans, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Very nice Saturday night supper! I did make one change, I added a sprinkle of red pepper flakes, about a quarter teaspoon, it added a nice zing. The recipe was quick and very easy to put together; we will definately make it again, thanks for sharing.
Oh maaaaa-aa-aan - THIS is an awesome recipe! Made it last night for dinner - definitely moves into the top 3 faves list! Couple'a switches - I kicked up the pepper to 1/2 tsp; made the bell pepper 1 red and 1 orange; made the onion a red one and shook in some really good curry powder and fresh dill. Served it over brown rice and couldn't believe how good this was! Thanks for posting this to RZ!
I love that it was easy and used ingredients I typically have on hand. For me it seemed to lack something as I found the flavour kind of bland. We tried topping it with southwest flavoured cheese and that actually did improve it. Maybe a jalapeño or two? I don't know. I was a little disappointed. I may try it again with some tweaking for my tastes because I do like the idea of this dish.