Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a simple and satisfying vegetarian vegetable soup from Iraq. I found the recipe on a website I belive is called sudairy.com, a collection of MIddle Eastern recipes. Everyone who ahs tried it has enjoyed it. I believe it is low in fat and calories, and it's simple to prepare. I did modify the original recipe slightly.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (use the extra virgin if possible)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced about 1/4 inch
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and diced about 1/2 inch
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- 7 cups vegetable broth (or mixed broth and water half and half)
- 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (a MUST)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Heat the oil in a 6 quart (or larger) saucepan on medium heat. Add carrots, onions, garlic and ginger. Stir-fry about 8 minutes.
- Add potatoes, tomatoes and cilantro. Stir fry another 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat to simmer. Cover and cook about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
I made this for dinner two nights back. I used 2 carrots, 1 potato, 1 medium onion, 3 cloves crushed garlic, 1 cup finely chopped corriander leaves, 1/2 tbsp. grated ginger, 4 cups water, salt to taste, jeera powder and black pepper powder. It turned out nice. My suggestion is to mash all the veggies after it has come to a boil, sieve it and then serve the soup.