1/4 Photos of Hasa Al Hummus -- Moroccan Chickpea Soup
2 hrs 20 mins
Hajar Elizabeth's Note:
Hasa Al Hummus is a wonderful Moroccan vegetarian soup for a comforting winter warmer. Morocco adores her soups though there are not a million varieties. Many recipes online may taste good though are faux or Moroccan "style" soups. I can guarantee that from me what you get is completely authentic Moroccan fare. I owe this to those interested in Moroccan food/cooking that is authentic. This is a very simple basic soup as most Moroccan foods are. Go to a touristy, especially a fancy one, spot and you will get French food with Moroccan influences; not how we eat every day. We eat Moroccan food perhaps with a French influence or two though never vice versa. My housemaid Nasiha who is approximately 60 taught me this recipe. I say approximately as many in Morocco do not know their birthday. Whip this up like we do and enjoy! In a pinch you can use canned chickpeas. They are acceptable, merely omit the first cooking hour. As an aside, here, hummus is the word for chickpea, not the dip/spread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup dried garbanzo beans, soaked overnight
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and diced (optional)
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small hot pepper, chopped finely
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander, leaf chopped finely
- 1/2 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped finely
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1In a soup pot combine the chickpeas and water and bring to a rolling boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium and cook 1 hour.
- 2While the beans are cooking, heat the oil in a skillet and sauté the onions, garlic, and hot pepper (we use a small straight pickled hot pepper from a jar) until they barely take on color; very slightly browned.
- 3Add the mixture and the remainder of the ingredients to the soup pot and simmer 1 hour or until the chickpeas are soft. You don't want a "bite" to the chickpeas but firm and creamy.
- 4NB: The preparation time does not include soaking the chickpeas.
Browse Our Top Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chickpeas/Garbanzos Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hasa Al Hummus -- Moroccan Chickpea Soup
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 179.3
- Calories from Fat 40
- Total Fat 4.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 799.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.6 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 7.8 g