Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
From Guy Fieri's Food cookbook, this is great in sauces, spreads, sandwiches dressings, barbeque sauce, etc. Enjoy!
- 5 large roma tomatoes, quartered
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded, chopped (more or less for desired heat)
- 1⁄2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes (or to taste for desired heat)
- In a medium saucepan over medium high heat, combine all the ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium to keep liquid at a good simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes, until thickened and broken down, stirring occasionally.
- Puree the mixture in a blender or food processor and return to the pan and simmer 25-30 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- Cool, refrigerate, and use for dressings, sandwich spreads, BBQ sauce, etc. The sauce will keep in the fridge for about 3 weeks.