1/3 Photos of Green Split Pea & Barley Soup
2 hrs 55 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups split peas, rinsed and drained
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 -4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 12 cups water, chicken or 12 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed and drained
- 1 bay leaf
- pepper, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed (optional)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1In a large soup pot, combine split peas, carrots, celery and 1 onion with water.
- 2Bring to a boil.
- 3Stir in barley, bay leaf and garlic, if using.
- 4Reduce heat and simmer partly covered for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- 5Stir occasionally.
- 6Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 7In a nonstick skillet, heat oil.
- 8Saute the remaining 2 onions on medium heat until well-browned, about 6 to 8 minutes.
- 9Add onions to soup along with dill.
- 10Simmer soup 5 to 10 minutes longer.
- 11Discard bay leaf.
- 12Reheats and/or freezes well.
- 13If soup gets thick, add a little water or broth.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Split Pea & Barley Soup
Serving Size: 1 (332 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 166.8
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 32.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.7 g
- Sugars 4.7 g
- Protein 9.4 g