1/2 Photos of Greek Pita Bread
2 hrs 4 mins
This is the real Greek pita. I found this on a Greek web site. I think it was Susie's Place. This can be used for souvlaki and gyros sndwiches. If you bake this longer, you have pita pockets. The time to make includes rising.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine the yeast and sugar in a small bowl.
- 2Add 1/2 cup of the warm water and let it stand for 10 minutes to proof and ferment.
- 3Dissolve the salt in the remaining warm water.
- 4Put the flour in a large mixing bowl, making a well in the middle and put the dissolved yeast and salt water into it.
- 5With your hands, blend it into a dough. You may need a bit more or less water depending on your flour.
- 6Knead the dough in the bowl with your fists for 10-15 minutes or until smooth.
- 7Pour the oil over the dough and knead it again until the oil is absorbed.
- 8Cover the dough in the bowl with a towel and set in a draft free area to rise to double it's bulk (1-2 hours), then punch it down and knead it again for a few minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 10Cut pieces of dough, egg-size or larger, depending on the size of the pita desired.
- 11Shape them into balls with your hands and roll them out over a lightly floured board or pastry cloth to 1/4" thickness.
- 12Set 2 or 3 pitas on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake them on the lower rack 2-3 minutes each side.
- 13Bake longer for pita pockets.
- 14Susie's note: Pitas should be white and soft. Wrap the baked pitas in a clean towel until they are cool, then store them in plastic bags to prevent them from drying out. When you are ready to use them, heat a bit of oil in a skillet and fry them a minute or so on each side, or until golden brown. Use them immediately, because they get hard when they dry out.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Pita Bread
Serving Size: 1 (900 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2004.3
- Calories from Fat 169
- Total Fat 18.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4674.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 396.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 14.8 g
- Sugars 13.9 g
- Protein 53.6 g