Yes, raw beets. I hate peeling cooked beets. I discovered this recipe on a food blog and it instantly appealed to my love of beets and my hate of peeling them. It's delicious, refreshing and good!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 450 g carrots
- 450 g uncooked beetroots (get the small, young ones, with smooth skin and firm flesh)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon strong Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce or chili pepper flakes, to taste
- smoked salt or regular sea salt or za'atar spice mix
- fresh ground black pepper
- leafy fresh herb, chopped (cilantro, chervil, flat-leaf parsley) (optional)
- toasted nuts (almonds, pine nuts, cashews, peanuts) (optional) or seeds (sesame, sunflower seeds) (optional)
- grated apples (optional) or shallot (optional)
- any dried herb, spice (and you know there's only one way to find out) (optional) or mixed spice, you think might work (and you know there's only one way to find out) (optional)
- 1Trim, peel, and grate the carrots and beets. (If you own a food processor with a grater attachment, yay for you!)
- 2Place the rest of the main ingredients, from garlic to black pepper, in a large salad bowl, add the grated carrots and beets, and toss until well combined.
- 3Add any desired add-ins and toss again.
- 4Taste, adjust the seasoning, and let stand for 30 minutes, if you can, before serving: the beets and carrots will render juices that will make the salad moister.
- 5If you don't have that kind of time and the salad does not feel quite moist enough, add a dash of citrus juice, tomato juice, or any sort of juice that may currently reside in the refrigerator door.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grated Carrot and (Raw) Beet Salad
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 83.0
- Calories from Fat 23
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 111.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.4 g
- Sugars 9.0 g
- Protein 1.8 g