Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Yes, raw beets. I hate peeling cooked beets. I discovered this recipe on a food blog and it instantly appealed to my love of beets and my hate of peeling them. It's delicious, refreshing and good!
- 450 g carrots
- 450 g uncooked beetroots (get the small, young ones, with smooth skin and firm flesh)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely minced or 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon strong Dijon mustard
- Tabasco sauce or chili pepper flakes, to taste
- smoked salt or regular sea salt or za'atar spice mix
- fresh ground black pepper
- leafy fresh herb, chopped (cilantro, chervil, flat-leaf parsley) (optional)
- toasted nuts (almonds, pine nuts, cashews, peanuts) (optional) or seeds (sesame, sunflower seeds) (optional)
- grated apples (optional) or shallot (optional)
- any dried herb, spice (and you know there's only one way to find out) (optional) or mixed spice, you think might work (and you know there's only one way to find out) (optional)
- Trim, peel, and grate the carrots and beets. (If you own a food processor with a grater attachment, yay for you!)
- Place the rest of the main ingredients, from garlic to black pepper, in a large salad bowl, add the grated carrots and beets, and toss until well combined.
- Add any desired add-ins and toss again.
- Taste, adjust the seasoning, and let stand for 30 minutes, if you can, before serving: the beets and carrots will render juices that will make the salad moister.
- If you don't have that kind of time and the salad does not feel quite moist enough, add a dash of citrus juice, tomato juice, or any sort of juice that may currently reside in the refrigerator door.
Delicious salad that was ready in no time,and very healthy. I used all organic ingredients and found that this also hit the spot for a mid-day hunger attack which held me over until dinner. The carrots and beets go together very well. Thank you for sharing.
LOVE this! Much more interesting than the typical carrot beet salad. Of the optional ingredients I used zatar and smoked sea salt, and added cilantro and toasted pine nuts. My husband flipped for it! Can't wait to make it again.