Entered for safe-keeping, from Sean Donnellan's "Something Tastes Funny", with recipes by Naidre Miller. This cookbook is geared to new cooks and non-cooks. These will grill without crumbling on a grill. For a grain and cheese vegetarian burger, try Columbia Bar & Grill's Grain & Cheeseburgers #165678.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pure chile powder
- 1 1/2 cups canned garbanzo beans or 1 1/2 cups canned chickpeas, 15 1/2-oz can drained
- 1 cup cooked brown rice or 1 cup cooked white rice
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 4 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup wheat germ
- 4 pita breads or 4 hamburger buns
- 4 slices tomatoes (optional)
- 4 lettuce leaves (optional) or 4 spinach leaves (optional)
- 1TOAST SEEDS AND SPICES:.
- 2Toast the sesame seeds for 2 minutes in a hot skillet, taking care not to burn them.
- 3Add the coriander, cumin, and chile powder and cook for 10 seconds longer, so that all spices are aromatic. Turn onto a plate to cool.
- 4PREPARE BEAN MIXTURE:.
- 5In a large bowl, mash the beans with a potato masher or fork, then add the rice and 1/3 cup wheat germ.
- 6PREPARE SCALLIONS AND GARLIC:.
- 7In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, and add the scallions, garlic, and toasted spices.
- 8Cook until softened, then remove from heat and add to the mashed bean mixture.
- 9PREPARE BURGERS:.
- 10Add salt and pepper to the mashed bean mixture, and mix well with hands.
- 11Shape into four 3/4-inch thick patties.
- 12Pour remaining 1/3 cup wheat germ on a plate, and press patties in it, coating both sides.
- 13Grill, broil, or saute patties for about 3 minutes per side, or until nicely golden.
- 14Serve burgers on pita breads, or buns, topped with tomato slices and lettuce or spinach leaves.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Grain Burgers
Serving Size: 1 (288 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 452.0
- Calories from Fat 75
- Total Fat 8.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 893.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.3 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 16.9 g