Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Did you know that the water content of lettuce is as high as 96%! Moreover, this is the vegetable that's lowest in calories! When shopping for lettuce, always buy dark coloured leaves since these are more nutritious, higher in iron and beta carotene than the light green ones. The best way to store unwashed lettuce in your kitchen is in the vegetable crisper, loosely packed in a plastic bag or in a covered container in the refrigerator. Use lettuce within 3 days from the day you buy it. This is the best thing that I got to learn today - 2 leaves of lettuce have just 1 single calorie!!!!!! I hope you enjoy this recipe and munch on some lettuce instead of biscuits the next time hunger pangs take their toll on you!;-) This is Chef Sanjeev Kapoor's recipe from the Young Times magazine.
- 1 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 loaf whole wheat bread (Use 1 or 2 day old stale bread for best results)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 3 medium tomatoes, washed,peeled and cut into cubes
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled,washed and cut into cubes
- 1⁄2 medium red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- black pepper
- Wash lettuce under running water.
- Drain and allow to dry.
- Tear into bite-sized pieces and refrigerate.
- Cut bread into cubes.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp.
- of olive oil, dried rosemary (you could use any other herb of your choice) and continue to roast on low flame.
- Scald red, yellow and green bell pepper.
- Immediately dip in cold water.
- Drain, peel off skin and cut them into cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cucumbers, tomatoes, red, yellow and green bell pepper and the lettuce leaves.
- Mix well, then add the bread cubes and mix again.
- Drizzle lemon juice and the remaining olive oil.
- Mix in salt and black pepper to taste.
- Toss well and serve cold.